Sam has just recently joined us, taking over from the lovely Sarah! He is part of the Happy Travels team and is our own Lexis travel specialist. He wants to help you have a memorable experience here in Australia and can be found at our Happy Travels desk every Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 12 and 3pm. Sam can help you book many weekend activities and trips around Byron but also around the rest of Australia (for great prices!). Go say hi! 😉
Here are a few things about about Sam and his travels…
1. WHERE DID YOU GROW UP?
Half an hour north of Birmingham in the middle of the UK. A small town called Stone.
2. WHICH LANGUAGES CAN YOU SPEAK?
English and a bit of French and an even smaller bit of German and Italian.
3. WHICH COUNTRIES HAVE YOU VISITED?
France, Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Austria, Slovenia, Italy, Australia
4. WHICH COUNTRIES HAVE YOU LIVED IN?
The UK and Australia
5. WHERE IS YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD?
The coast of Bamburgh in the North east of the UK – its rugged, desolate, and has great pubs.
7. TELL US 5 THINGS WE SHOULDN’T MISS OUT ON WHILE IN AUSTRALIA
– Sydney Harbour Bridge Pylon Tower – cheaper than a climb, much more fun!
– Port Macquarie Koala Hospital – the only hospital for Koalas that is run completely by volunteers
– Fraser Island – 90-mile beach in particular
– Airlie Beach – go for a tour of the Whitsundays, it is stunning
– Cronuts – a kind of weird blend of doughnuts and croissants
8. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE THING TO DO IN BYRON?
The weekend markets and street food – it’s crazy how good the selection and quality is. Also a pint at the Rails.
9. WHERE WOULD WE FIND YOU AT 11PM ON A SATURDAY?
At a house party, probably in the kitchen with a bottle of rum, talking to strangers about how terrible Brexit is.
10. AND 8AM ON A SUNDAY?
Either hanging horribly from the night before, or trying to cook up some pancakes and eggs!
11. TELL US SOMETHING YOU TICKED OFF YOUR BUCKET LIST LAST YEAR
Finish my PhD and quit academia, work for a charity, and then move to Oz!
12. AND SOMETHING YOU WANT TO TICK OFF THIS YEAR
See the sunrise from the Lighthouse, I always have the best intentions but other plans always seem to get in the way!
13. TOP TRAVEL TIP
Book early – its mad how quickly things get booked on the east coast – I’ve had my fair share of last minute scrabbling!
6. DREAM HOLIDAY DESTINATION?
Morelia, Mexico – I really want to learn how to make the perfect carnitas and they’re supposed to do the best!
Learn English in Byron Bay. Lexis English students study General English, IELTS, FCE, CAE and English plus Surfing and Yoga in a friendly and professional school right in the heart of Byron Bay and only 15 minutes from the beach