We recently spoke with six of our students here at Lexis Byron Bay, to ask them a few questions about their part-time jobs. We found out where they work, what they like about their jobs and working in Byron and also, what their dream jobs would be…
Arriving in a new place, meeting new people, starting school as well as having to find a job can be difficult! Thanks to these students, we have some tips for our current and future students, to help with the headache of finding a job. Thanks to Judith, Leo, Ania, Maria, Pedro and Lucas for the tips and positive vibes! 😉
WAS IT HARD TO FIND YOUR JOB AND WHAT DID YOU DO TO GET IT?
- No, it wasn’t too hard! Byron is small but you have lots of options for work. Everybody always finds a job! It really helps to be positive and focused.
- It wasn’t too easy! I spent many weeks searching and bringing my CV to every store and restaurant.
- When I arrived in Byron it was tricky to find a job as it was Winter season here, so a bit quiet, but I didn’t give up! I went to many places and gave in my CV and after a few weeks, got my job!
- No, it wasn’t hard to find a job! My friend told me she was leaving her job at Orgasmic Falafel and asked if I would like to take over. This was the same for another job a few months ago, my friend was leaving his position at an Italian restaurant in town. I also got some cleaning work at my accommodation after suggesting some ways to make the public spaces better and cleaner for everyone. As I am a long term student here, I was also approached about some cleaning work here in Lexis.
- I found a job on my first week in Byron! I recommend making a CV that is very personal to you – what do you know? What experience do you have? What are your strong points?
- It took me about 15 days to find my job. I went around to all shops, bars and restaurants asking for the manager and handing them my CV personally.
WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR OTHER STUDENTS LOOKING FOR WORK?
- Be patient! It will all work out ok!
- If you put in the effort and are persistent, you will find your job! Ask to speak with the manager where possible.
- Keep in touch with people and tell everyone you are looking for a job. There are so many people coming and going so you can take their jobs as they leave.
- Never give up! and try speak with the manager.
- Make your CV interesting and personal to you. Show them why they should hire YOU! 😀
Don’t forget to check our blog every Wednesday for a list of the latest jobs advertised online for Byron! 🙂
Missed out on our first jobs blog? See it here 😉
Learn English in Byron Bay. Lexis English students study General English, IELTS, FCE, CAE and English plus Surfing and Yoga in a friendly and professional school right in the heart of Byron Bay and only 15 minutes from the beach.