For our Cooking with Chocolate activity we made delicious Vegan Brownies!
We all worked as a team, following the below recipe:
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil
- 200g dark chocolate (dairy free if you want to make it vegan)
- 170g of self-raising flour
- 3 heaped teaspoons of cocoa powder
- 180g golden caster sugar
- 230ml coconut milk
- 200g raspberries
- 200g walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Grease a square baking tin (roughly 20cm) with a little oil, then line with greaseproof paper.
- Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the base doesn’t touch the water. Break 150g of chocolate into the bowl and allow it to melt, then set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, sieve the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar. Stir in the oil, milk and melted chocolate until combined.
- Chop and stir in the raspberries, remaining chocolate and most of the nuts reserving a few for the top. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, spreading it out evenly. Sprinkle over the remaining walnuts, then place into the hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked on the outside, but still gooey in the middle.
- Leave to cool for around 5 minutes, turn out onto a wire cooling rack.
We adapted it slightly by guessing how much of each ingredient to put in, rather than measuring it! We may have been slightly overgenerous with the sugar…
While we patiently waited the 25 minutes for them to bake in the oven, Maria entertained us by taking over the Happy Travels desk. I think selling travel could definitely be a future career for her!
After the timer went off we eagerly took the brownies out the oven and sat down to tuck in…
Much to our disappointment they were still very gooey in the middle. A few of us (myself included!) were so desperate for our chocolate fix that we were happy to eat them as they were, but the majority voted that we be patient and put them back in the oven for a further 15 minutes!
Back to passing the time we went…
Until they were ready 🙂 🙂 and definitely worth the wait!!