Have you ever thought of using sweet potatoes in baking? No, neither had we but our teacher, Mel, had a recipe she was super keen to share. So, with Claire away on holiday, this week’s cooking activity was “Baking Healthy Brownies” with Mel.
You can find the full recipe below. And the verdict? Absolutely delicious!
- 200g (approx 2 cups) raw medium-sized sweet potato, peeled, grated and with extra moisture squeezed from it
- 125g (1/2 cup) melted butter or macadamia or coconut oil
- 170g (1/2 cup) sweetener of your choice e.g honey, maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 2 large organic free-range eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla powder or paste
- 30-60g (1/4-1/2 cup) raw cacao powder (the more cacao, the richer the chocolate flavour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 cup raspberries, cherries or nuts
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- In a large bowl, blender or processor, mix together the sweet potato, butter or oil, sweetener, eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Add the cacao, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and combine.
- Finally, stir in the coconut flour. Coconut flour absorbs a lot of liquid so you should only need two tablespoons. Your batter should be the consistency of a very thick airy (cake like) batter. Let it sit for a minute and if it still seems a little wet, add more coconut flour teaspoon by teaspoon.
- Line a small slice tin with baking powder.
- Pour the batter into the tin and top with the fruit or nuts.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the centre is firm to touch or a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before slicing. It will firm up when chilled.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container. You can also freeze them.
- Enjoy at room temperature or warm with double cream, coconut cream, ice cream and fresh berries.
Learn English in Byron Bay. Lexis English students study General English, IELTS, FCE, CAE and English plus Surfing or Yoga in a friendly and professional school right in the heart of Byron Bay and only 15 minutes from the beach.