Last week we made Vegan Brownies!
Harriett and myself assisted the students as they worked together to make this vegan friendly desert!
The results were delicious! If you’d like to try yourself at home here’s how:
5 tablespoons sunflower oil
200g dark chocolate (dairy free if you want to make it vegan)
170g of self-raising flour
3 heaped teaspoons of cocoa powder
180g golden caster sugar
230ml coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Grease a square baking tin (roughly 20cm) with a little oil, then line with greaseproof paper.
- Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the base doesn’t touch the water. Break 150g of chocolate into the bowl and allow it to melt, then set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, sieve the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar. Stir in the oil, milk and melted chocolate until combined.
- Roughly chop and stir in the remaining chocolate and most of the nuts reserving a few for the top. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, spreading it out evenly. Sprinkle over the remaining pecans, then place into the hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked on the outside, but still gooey in the middle.
- Leave to cool for around 5 minutes, turn out onto a wire cooling rack, and then serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if you’re feeling extra indulgent.