Today we cooked a popular Australian treat; Anzac biscuits!
To make them even sweeter we also added melted chocolate for decoration (although a lot of the chocolate was just eaten straight from the bowl!)
Everyone had great fun and the biscuits from both the morning and afternoon session were a success! I was lucky enough to try them both 🙂
The biscuits are really simple and quick to make. If you’d like to make some more at home or you missed out on today’s activity, here’s the easy to follow recipe:
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/3 cup golden syrup
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
3 tablespoons boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Place the oats, flour, sugar and coconut in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Melt the butter and golden syrup together in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Combine the bicarb soda with the water and then add to the butter mixture.
- Pour butter mixture into the oat mixture, and mix together until well combined.
- Place a large spoonful of the mixture onto baking trays lined with baking paper. Flatten to 7cm rounds and make sure there is room between each cookie for them to spread while baking.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden in colour.
- Allow to cool on baking trays for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Enjoy this tasty Australian treat!