Are you looking for somewhere to live in Byron Bay? It can be very tough finding the right place at the right price because so many other people want to live in the paradise of Byron Bay, especially coming into Summer.
The best places to look for accommodation are:
- In the Echo newspaper which comes out every Wednesday (and is available online on Tuesday evening here)
- On Gumtree under Real Estate – Property for Rent, which you can find here
- On Facebook groups for rentals in the Byron area such as:
– Soul-full Abodes SHORT TERM for the Tribe Northern NSW
– Byron Bay Rental Sleuth
– Byron Bay Abodes
– Soul-full Abodes for the Tribe Northern NSW
- Check noticeboards for posters advertising rooms for rent.
- Another option is doing a work exchange, where you work a set amount of hours per day or week in exchange for your accommodation. Find more information on this option at Work for Accommodation, Help Exchange, Willing Workers on Organic Farms and Work Away.
When you see a room advertised, contact the person as soon as possible! You can be sure many other people will contact them, so the sooner you contact them, the better chance you have of getting the place.
Whether you contact people by phone or by email, always be friendly and polite, and make sure to:
– introduce yourself (your name, where you are from, what you are doing in Byron Bay)
– say what you are looking for, for example: short term/long term rental, single/double/shared room, quiet/social/party house?
– ask questions about the room and house, for example: How many other people live there? Are bills included in the rent? Is wifi/internet available? Are there any pets?
– check when the room is available from and to.
When you go to see a room, make sure you are on-time, friendly, polite and ask them any further questions you have about the room. After you leave, make sure to tell them as soon as possible if you are interested in renting the room! Also tell them if you are not interested, so they can offer it to someone else who is searching for a place to rent in Byron Bay.
Above all, stay positive and be persistent! The more people and the quicker you contact people about rooms advertised for rent, the more likely you are to find somewhere to live! Good luck!
Learn English in Byron Bay. Lexis English students study General English, IELTS, FCE, CAE and English plus Surfing in a friendly and professional school right in the heart of Byron Bay and only 15 minutes from the beach.