Today we baked some Australian cookies, ANZAC Biscuits. These tasty treats are very quick and easy to make, so we baked two batches of cookies!
Aya and Sua decided to get creative with their biscuits by sprinkling the mixture with ground coffee and then cooking them in the sandwich press… They insist that the biscuits were just as delicious with this method of cooking!
The rest of the cookies were baked in the oven and came out perfectly. Needless to say, there are no cookies left!
Here is the recipe to try at home:
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
2/3 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/3 cup golden syrup
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
2 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Place the oats, flour, sugar and coconut in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Cook the golden syrup and butter in a saucepan over low heat, stirring, until melted.
- Combine the bicarb soda with the water and add to the butter mixture.
- Pour into the oat mixture and mix well to combine.
- Place a large spoonful of the mixture onto baking trays lined with baking paper and flatten to 7cm rounds, allowing room to spread.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until deep golden in colour.
- Allow to cool on baking trays for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- EAT THEM ALL! 🙂