Today we spent some time in the kitchen preparing possibly the most delicious raw dessert ever made in the Lexis kitchen!
Eleven Lexis students helped prepare the ingredients to make a base with layers of coconut and chocolate, topped off with another layer of chocolate . YUMMY! ❤
The hardest part of making raw dessert – being patient. The mini tarts are sitting in the freezer (safe from thrifty fingers – I’m looking at you, Santi!) overnight for an excellent morning break snack tomorrow!
If you want to try this yourself, here is the recipe:
RAW LAYERED CHOCOLATE AND COCONUT TART
|For the Base
1 cup Almond Meal
½ cup Peanut Butter
3/4 cup Coconut Oil
1/2 cup Desiccated Coconut
½ cup Sweetener
1 tsp Vanilla
¼ tsp Salt
|For the Layers
2 Tbsp Cocoa
1 cup Tbsp Sweetener
2 cups Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Desiccated Coconut
1/2 cup Coconut Oil
1½ tsp Vanilla
½ tsp Salt
|For the Topping
1 block Chocolate
3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
Handful of Desiccated Coconut
- Prepare a cake or muffin pan lined with baking paper. Place in the freezer while preparing base.
For the Base
- Put all ingredients in a bowl, mixing until well combined. The mixture should be slightly sticky and hold its shape easily. Add more almond meal if it is too sticky or more oil if it is too dry.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press down, covering the bottom of the pan evenly. Return pan to the freezer while preparing the layers.
For the Layers
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, except the cocoa. The mixture should be thick like a paste. Add more peanut butter if it is too runny or more oil if it is too dry.
- Split the mixture in two, putting one half in a separate bowl.
- From one bowl, spoon about 1/3 of the mixture into the pan, spreading it across the base until it is covered in an even layer.
- Return pan to the freezer to allow that layer to set.
- Meanwhile, add cocoa and the extra sweetener to the other bowl of mixture, stirring until well combined. Spoon about 1/3 of this chocolate mixture into the pan over the first layer.
- Return pan to the freezer until firm, then repeat the process alternating the layers, allowing some time in between each layer for the layers to firm up in the freezer.
For the Topping
- Gently melt the chocolate and oil together in a pan over low heat, stirring to combine.
- Pour over the top of the layers then sprinkle with coconut.
- Return to the freezer until the topping has hardened (at least 3 hours or overnight).
- Slice and enjoy! 🙂
Learn English in Byron Bay. Lexis English students study General English, IELTS, FCE, CAE and English plus Surfing in a friendly and professional school right in the heart of Byron Bay and only 15 minutes from the beach.