Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Anneliese (you can call me Anna for short) and I am really excited to be working at Lexis English Byron Bay as the Activities and student support officer. I moved to Byron from Melbourne for the surf and beach lifestyle and honestly believe this is the best spot in Australia- and maybe even in the world! I am a pretty much as Aussie as you can get, and my family has lived in Australia for several generations.
I do, however, know what it is like to live in a country where your language isn’t spoken- I lived in China for seven months and did not know how to speak any Chinese (but tried my best to learn while there) so I know how satisfying it is when you speak in a different language and are understood by the locals. So I encourage students to practice speaking English with me as much as possible!
My job here at Lexis Byron Bay is to help out the students, support them as they transition into their life and studies here, show them around and tell them some of the cool things on offer in Byron (and trust me, there are soooooooo many!) I also look after Lexis Byron Bay’s free activity calendar – filling it with fun and engaging activities each month such as movie screenings, sports tournaments, cookery workshops and trips to the pub! Additionally, part of my role is to update the Lexis English Byron Bay blog and Facebook page, run orientation for new students and deals with any problems or questions that students may have .
So a few more things you may not know about me:
1) I have traveled extensively around Asia, trekked in Nepal and spent time in the USA and in Europe and love learning about different cultures and meeting people from, well, everywhere.
2) I love quotes and inspirational sayings
3) I laugh a lot and find many things funny (people learn that pretty quickly)
4) I am competitive when playing sports (I can’t help it, I just get very into it)
5) I studied World Religions, Psychology and English Literature at university
6) I play guitar and like to sing and, even though I am not that good at it… I do it anyway 🙂
I look forward to meeting you soon. I might see you out in the surf sometime and will definitely see you around Lexis, Byron Bay!